Oh boy, I got tagged again! Thanks Reid!
- Rule 1: Always post the rules
- Rule 2: Answer the questions the person who tagged you asked and write 11 new ones
- Rule 3: Tag 11 people and link them to the post
- Rule 4: Actually tell them you tagged them
1. What novel changed your life and why?
It’s not a specific novel, but the Pendragon series by D.J. McHale. One of the characters, Loor, is a warrior; she’s strong, independent, and aware, pretty much everything I wanted to be as a kid. Basically, she helped me through a lot of bullying for a long time.
2. When is the last time you cried?
3. Favorite mythological creature?
Mermaids are rad.
4. Have you ever traveled outside your own country?
Yes, I’ve been to Japan.
5. Favorite holiday family tradition?
Decorating the Christmas tree while goofing off with my family.
6. What movie do you absolutely hate?
I don’t know if I care enough about it to hate it, but I’m not the biggest fan of Disney’s The Little Mermaid.
7. If you could change your name, would you, and what to?
Yeah, why not. I’ve always liked “Evangeline”.
8. What’s the last challenge you’ve overcome in your life, big or little?
Getting out of bed this morning.
9. Favorite theme song to anything?
Tank! from Cowboy Bebop.
10. An actor/actress you love (in any media) that not that many people know about?
11. What’s the first thing that pops into your head when I ask you what makes you happy?
"Wow, it shouldn’t be this hard to think of something."
Questions for you:
1. What is your favorite sound?
2. How do you feel about cuddling?
3. Do you have a favorite card game? If so, what is it?
4. Describe your perfect day.
5. What is your favorite sea creature?
6. Who is your least favorite writer (can be books, tv, movies, etc)?
7. What song makes you sing with all your heart?
8. Favorite quote?
9. What country have you always wanted to visit?
10. If you could only be in one fandom, which would it be?
11. How did you think up your username?
Tagging: flightsofwonder, justkeepbreathingnow, notlikethetiger, queenofsquirrely, and readoutside.
[I found this while searching back through my blog for another post - it was a response to a reply I had gotten on a post, but I felt that, in light of our recent discussions about the reboot/representation in future Trek, maybe I should share it again, because I don’t think I’ve ever said it better than I did here.]
Why the hell shouldn’t I expect an LGBT crewmember and LGBT relationships from Star Trek?
They had one of the first televisied interracial kisses.
They had one of the first televised same-sex kisses.
They had an Asian man and African woman and a Russian on the Bridge of the Enterprise in the height of the Cold War!
So I’m sorry but like hell I can’t expect it to break every barrier. That’s been its mission statement from the very first episode.
You’re right though, it has addressed it, in a single episode of DS9 - one of the many reasons I adore that series more than I ever will Voyager or Enterprise. Because the showrunners of DS9 weren’t afraid to push the envelope, and they made a better show because of it.
People have been calling for a LGBT character and relationship since the Next Generation first aired. By the time it got to Voyager, the showrunners started saying that they ‘wanted’ to do it - Kate Mulgrew even apologised for never having it on her show, saying that she pushed them to do it but they never did.
There were rumours they’d finally have a LGBT character on Enterprise, because again they said they’d do it, but it didn’t happen.
Why? Because the showrunners (i.e. Braga and Berman) were too busy putting attractive women in sexy clothing to bother pushing any more boundaries.
By your logic, it’d be ‘strained’ for the crew of the original Enterprise to represent so many cultures, or to even have a woman on the Bridge, considering the time it was made in. That kind of justification would have resulted in a show so unremarkable it wouldn’t be remembered today, let alone cherished as much as it is.
So I’m sorry, but there is no excuse for the creators not having an LGBT character in Star Trek, considering they’ve been on TV since the 90s, and it’s already 2013. It’s time that Star Trek got with the times and began pushing the envelope again. Because quite frankly, having a gay or lesbian character on a show isn’t pushing any boundaries any more.
When they get around to making a new Star Trek series, you bet your ass I’m going to expect not just one LGBT character, but multiple.
And a full fledged, long-term romantic relationship, because LGBT people deserve a representative on a show that is supposed to be showing us a better future.
notlikethetiger asked: Calla Lily, Peony, Rose? :P
Calla Lily- Q.U.E.E.N. by Janella Monae and Erykah Badu. I’d like people to party at my funeral.
Peony- TEA. I LOVE TEA. SO MUCH. oh wait hot chocolate is also delicious. Dilemma. Both. Both is good.
Rose- Not in love, but definitely interested in someone.
- Daisy: How old were you when you had your first kiss?
- Carnation: If I handed you a concert ticket right now, who would you want to be the performer?
- Jasmine: What color looks best on you?
- foxglove: Name three facts about your family?
- Allium: What's the best thing you can cook?
- Orange Blossom: If you could pick the gender and appearance of your child, would you?
- Calla Lily: If you died right now, what song would you want to play at your funeral?
- Poinsettia: Favorite holiday dish?
- Oxlip: Would you ever get into a long distance relationship?
- Primrose: Favorite kind of soup?
- Daffodil: What's the most thoughtful present you've ever received?
- Rose: Are you currently in love with someone?
- Amsonia: Would you ever become a vegan?
- Peony: What's your favorite hot beverage?
- Tulip: For your birthday, what kind of cake do you ask for?
- Myrtle: Do you like going on airplanes?
- Hibiscus: Did you ever play an instrument? If so what?
- Zinnia: Who was your best friend when you were six years old?
- Poppy: What color was your childhood home?
- Hydrangea: Starbucks order?
- Violet: Do you like where you're from?
- Locust: What was your favorite book as a child?
- Rhododendron: What's the scariest dream you've ever had?
- Queen Anne's Lace: Would you rather carve pumpkins or wrap presents?
- Magnolia: Favorite kind of candy?
- Aster: Would you rather be cold or hot?
- Marigold: Do you listen to what's on the radio?
- Heliconia: Do you like when it rains?
- Azalea: What's a movie you cried while watching?
- Dandelion: Do you think you're important?